Episode 54: If I Had to Give ONE Tip to Lose Weight, Feel Your Best, and Prevent Disease... THIS is it!
Jun 09, 2020
We were all told as kids to 'eat your fruits and veggies'. But how much is enough? What counts as a serving? Why do we need so many? And how do we fit them all in??
These are the questions I'll be answering in this week's episode of the Life Unleashed Podcast!
How Many Servings of Produce Should You Aim for Daily?
8 Fist-Sized Servings (approximately 3/4 cup each).
Why So Many?
- A comprehensive meta-analysis of 142 articles from 95 population studies shows that the risk of dying prematurely from all causes was reduced by almost a third, and the risk of cardiovascular disease by about a quarter in people who ate 8 servings of fruit and vegetables daily.
- 7.8 million deaths worldwide could be prevented each year if people ate more fruits and vegetables.
- The fiber in fruits and veggies helps slow the spike of insulin, therefore making it easier to lose weight.
- The fiber helps bind to and carry cholesterol out of the body, and helps reduce blood pressure.
- The antioxidants, phytonutrients, and anti-inflammatory properties of fresh produce can be protective against a massive range of health conditions: cancer, diabetes, obesity, osteoporosis, leaky gut, cardiovascular disease, autoimmune disorders, acne, eye problems, mood disorders, etc.
- They are extremely filling, low in calories, dense in water, fiber, and nutrients, and help prevent cravings, making them the perfect weight loss food.
- Note: supplementing with fiber, antioxidants, and vitamins does NOT have the same effect as eating the whole food.
How the Heck Do I Get Them All In?
- Day in the life:
- Smoothie: cup of fruit and a cup of veggies (2)
- Snack: Apple and sun butter (1)
- Lunch: 1.5 cups of mixed greens + 3/4 cup of chopped veggies (salad) with a protein and lemon vinaigrette + 3/4 cup of sliced fruit (4)
- Dinner: baked salmon with 3/4 cup sauteed garlicky spinach + 3/4 cup roasted sweet potatoes and mushrooms (2)
- 9 servings!
- Swap regular rice for cauliflower rice.
- Swap chips for kale chips or homemade sweet potato fries.
- Swap spaghetti for spaghetti squash
- Veggies great for roasting: cauliflower, broccoli, onion, tomato, sweet potato, okra, brussels sprouts, carrots, green beans, mushrooms (with some GF soy sauce), celery root, zucchini, etc.
- Veggies great for sautéing quickly: bell peppers, onions, asparagus, mushrooms, thin sliced brussels sprouts, bok choy, fennel, kale, etc.
- Veggies great for eating raw with hummus, guacamole, or salsa: sugar snap peas, beets, bell peppers, cucumber, celery, etc.
- Veggie wrap
- Loaded sandwich
- Salad (mix it up with different seasonings, dressings, and toppings (plantain croutons, dry roasted chickpeas, nuts and seeds, avocado, fried egg, smoked salmon, herbs (mint, basil, cilantro, dill)
- Veggie Bowl: Cook up your favorite veggies and pair them with a protein and a yummy sauce or dressing.
Want some sinfully delicious, but totally guilt-free recipes that'll have you loading up on veggies you actually enjoy (without spending hours in the kitchen)? Click here to download my Clean & Lean Quarantine Cooking Class!
If you're loving these episodes, you'll love the customized advice you'll get on a free 'Kickstart Your Weight Loss' call with me! Click here to schedule yours now 😉
Hot News & Deals!
Click here to sign up for my pay-what-you-can Total Body Tone Up virtual fitness class! In just 30 minutes, you'll torch fat from head to toe, boost your energy, and release stress. Classes will be held Tuesdays at 11 am CST and Thursdays at 12 pm CST.
Click here to snag your spot in my FREE Stress Eating Solution Workshop on June 25th @ 7:30 pm CST if you're ready to break the cycle of emotional binges, mindless snacking, and midnight munching that's getting in the way of your weight loss!
Have you been struggling to reach your weight loss goals? Are you tired of all the extreme dieting? Ready to work with a coach who's going to help you not just get results, but keep them? Click here to discover which of my programs is right for you.
Can't get enough health and fitness inspo?
Follow me on Instagram, LinkedIn, or join my #badasswarrior tribe in my free Facebook group!
Want to be reminded when a new episode airs? Click here to subscribe for reminders!
Your daily discount!
Click here to get 15% off your first Fre Skincare Set! It's designed for skin that sweats.
The owner of this website may receive compensation for recommendations made in reference to the products or services on this website. This compensation may be in the form of money, services, or complimentary products and could exist without any action from a website visitor. Should you purchase a product or service that was recommended by this website, it is understood that some form of compensation might be made to the website owner. For example, if you click on an affiliate link at this website and then make a purchase of the recommended product or service, the website owner may receive compensation.